Coming soon from eFitzgerald... available in print and in eformat

Hello and welcome to our book's blog. How David Met Sarah is the story of a young man with Down Syndrome who falls in love with a young woman with autism. What makes How David Met Sarah different from any of my previous work is that I wrote the book for my youngest brother. He is 36 and has Down Syndrome.
I wrote How David Met Sarah with two goals in mind: to give my brother a story he could read and enjoy on his own, as well as one that had a hero with which he could identify. Like the main character in the story, my brother lives at home with his parents, works in a mail room and has even been in love.
I didn't intend to publish the story at first. My brother loved the initial chapters, and that was enough to encourage me to complete it. But one day I needed a sample manuscript to use at a writing workshop. The only work in progress I had to share was this one. I used the opening chapters in the workshop, and the response was so positive, I was encouraged to share the story with everyone.
How David Met Sarah is a story that is not only accessible to those with developmental disabilities, but also offers insight into what it's like to live with such a disability. My brother and I hope everyone enjoys it. Thanks for stopping by....Annie Kelleher (and David Kelly)

Sunday, January 29, 2012

Another guest blogger...

"When I first read "How David Met Sarah" I was expecting it to be a special book; after all it was written for a special audience by a very special author (who in the interests of full disclosure I must admit to having known online for sometime.)  What I did not expect was how the characters and the story immediately engaged me. I was enchanted by David, whose life the reader immediately becomes a part of, and eager to accompany him through not only his daily routine, but on his adventure to meet the charming Miss Sarah.  I could not put it down till I had finished the story.
"Annie Kelleher has created a wonderful world, filled with 'real' people...the kind you would recognize if you met them on the street...and a heart-warming, and thoroughly enjoyable read.  Never once did I think, or care, that this story is written at a level for developmentally challenged readers, it shows her masterful hand in remaining engaging at any level. 
"I have a large and diverse family, including a son who is challenged by dyslexia.  And we have been blessed to foster children with many developmental delays, and to be friends with adults, like David, who are living full lives and meeting their own challenges.  I cannot begin to stress the importance of books like "How David Met Sara", not only in touching the lives of those 'adult' readers who have had so little age appropriate material at their reading level, but for all the rest of us who can, through this wonderful story, catch a glimpse of their lives...and make a new friend we might otherwise have never been privileged to know." 
Pamela C Reese
Thanks so much, Pam!

No comments:

Post a Comment