Coming soon from eFitzgerald... available in print and in eformat

Hello and welcome to our book's blog. How David Met Sarah is the story of a young man with Down Syndrome who falls in love with a young woman with autism. What makes How David Met Sarah different from any of my previous work is that I wrote the book for my youngest brother. He is 36 and has Down Syndrome.
I wrote How David Met Sarah with two goals in mind: to give my brother a story he could read and enjoy on his own, as well as one that had a hero with which he could identify. Like the main character in the story, my brother lives at home with his parents, works in a mail room and has even been in love.
I didn't intend to publish the story at first. My brother loved the initial chapters, and that was enough to encourage me to complete it. But one day I needed a sample manuscript to use at a writing workshop. The only work in progress I had to share was this one. I used the opening chapters in the workshop, and the response was so positive, I was encouraged to share the story with everyone.
How David Met Sarah is a story that is not only accessible to those with developmental disabilities, but also offers insight into what it's like to live with such a disability. My brother and I hope everyone enjoys it. Thanks for stopping by....Annie Kelleher (and David Kelly)

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Making progress

For those of you who've read How David Met Sarah, you might be interested to know that I am at work on the second book of the series... When David was Surprised.  Based on my brother's own experiences with theatre, it includes quite a few surprises for the reader as well. 

Some of you may know of National Novel-Writing Month - often referred to as NaNoWriMo.  It's a national writing challenge that many writers seek to complete: produce a 50,000 word first draft in one month. 

Fair enough, but the month they pick happens to be November...which is not only a short month but a busy month in my universe.  Believe it or not, this month is less busy than last month because now the launch is behind me, I only have a few presents to finish buying.  So here's my goal for the rest of month:  to complete a 20,000 word first draft.  As of this morning, I have 3,200 words completed.  There are 17 days left in December.  If I write a thousand words every day - about four manuscript pages - I will meet my goal. 

I'll be keeping you posted on my progress!

No comments:

Post a Comment